Welcome

I have moved. Please visit me HERE!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ego < Experience


I have an actor friend who works all the time. She’s one of those people you see and go, “Oh, look it’s ... her ... from that ... thing.” In fact, she works so much that there are even times where I’ll be watching a show and she’ll unexpectedly pop up and I’m like, “Well hello, Amazing Actor Friend. What are you doing on there?” It’s a thing of beauty, I tell ya.

And I want explain to all of you lovely people why she works all the time – aside from being generally awesome and amazingly talented, though as her friend, I might be a tad biased.

She works consistently because she doesn’t ever think she’s too good for ANYTHING.

She was recently submitted for a one-line role on a project I was casting, and at first I was like, “oh, but you’re better than that.” But then I was like, “I admire that you value any job, any size, and don’t want to pass up any opportunity.” Smart actor, this one.

She knows that each and every opportunity can lead to something else.

She knows that experience breeds confidence.

She knows that a job is a freaking job!

I can’t tell you how many actors think they are better than small one-line roles. (see example HERE) But the thing is, those actors are usually the ones not working consistently.

What these actors don’t understand is that you need those smaller credits to build up your resume. I’m not saying that you should go be an extra. No. I’m simply saying don’t poo-poo the small roles. Do those co-star roles on TV shows and those one line roles in indie movies. Because guess what? Even the one line roles in bigger blockbuster films are usually reserved for actors with more credits. So build those credits, people!

Experience means everything in this business. We all have to pay our dues. Hell, I had to intern for nine months before getting a paying casting job. NINE months! Of working for FREE! But I did it.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Don’t let your ego stop you from gaining valuable experience.

1 comment:

  1. I have an actor friend who needs to read this. Actually, his manager needs to read this. He wants more co-star roles, while his manager only pursues guest star roles. By the way, I'm literally talking about a literal friend, not me! On my end, I had a dialog-less scene (as a co-star) on Sunday's ep of Desperate Housewives. Building credits, having fun.

    ReplyDelete