Welcome

I have moved. Please visit me HERE!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Two Stinkin' Words

A well-known actress (again, I’ll never give names and you can’t make me!) auditioned for me a while back and butchered a few words so badly that I simply could not convince the director to hire her no matter how hard I tried. And I TRIED! Other than mispronouncing "irate" (she said “a-rat”) and "heirloom" (she pronounced the “H”), she gave a fantastic reading. She was, in every other way, completely and totally perfect for the role. But at that point it didn’t matter. The director (also the writer) had always imagined this character to be cunning and he now only saw this poor actress as, well, not-so-cunning. Now, this girl is NOT an idiot, I had her come back in for the director after coaching her, and we chatted and she’s not dumb, but the damage had been done. The director couldn’t see anything else. Even when she gave a stellar reading at the callback (and pronounced everything right). It broke my heart. Alas, I am happy with the actress that we cast, but I will always wonder what might have been.

LESSON: Do your homework! 

No comments:

Post a Comment